Branching out in Virtual Worlds – The “Hows” and “Whats” – Part 3
Part 3 of this thrill. Sorry it took me a bit. Have had connection issues anyways move on with the more technical side of getting out there in the metaverse.
There are different ways of going about this.
Lets assume you have a full catalog from Second Life.
You can now choose if you want to bring everything over to other virtual worlds or just a selection. I recommend you start out with a selection and then build from there. Offering the residents of the new virtual world that they can contact you if they want something specific available.
So for the transferring of you creations:
- You can use a viewer to do this. Imprudence is the one I belive is the most commonly used other viewers have the capability as well. What to look for is the “Export” . Use the same viewer to “Export” from Second Life and “Import” to the Virtual World of your choice.
- IMPORTANT things to note is:
- Textures & Sculpt Maps will often not export on builds. When you “Import” the build into a virtual world YOU will see the textures and the sculpts will often look fine as well. This is due to you cache on your HD. Clear that and you will see what others see. So Textures & Sculpt Maps needs to be re-aplied to you builds after importing
- IF you’re not the original creator of the textures and/or sculpt maps that you use you need to get permission from the original creator(s). See older post I made on the license issues here Please also do your own research on the matter of copyright and license agreements.
different worlds has different policies on the importing so do your research. In some worlds they will give you credits to upload / import and other worlds its free. Many of the new worlds out there in the metaverse have strict copy-bot rules. Be aware of this and again read their TOS and policies. If in doubt contact the owners of the grid to be sure everything is ok.
On the SLM there is also some Export/Import tools available: “The OtherWorld Duplicator”
– Second Inventory (I can’t currently locate this on SLM)
IMPORTANT: Do be aware that any export/import either with viewer or tools will ONLY export the prims not textures, sculpt maps, scripts, animations etc.
Another good tip is to view the various virtual worlds forums. There will often be current residents there that has made post on how to export/import and trouble shooting. Often current residents will be helpful and happy to assist with any questions you have on this issue and if you are having problems
Links to the InWorldz Forum on the Export / Import
Now if you are a skin, clothes, animator, script, texture, sculptmap, creator You will have your things saved on your HD and all you need to do is to upload your items. Scriptors do need to be aware what type of scripting languages the virtual worlds are using (script engines). InWorldz has built their own script engine, Phlox, and has done a lot of work for it to be as close to 100% compatible with the LSL.
This should about cover most of the “Hows” & “Whats” for creators
to branch out into other virtual worlds.
If you have questions or feel like something is missing
or have additional info you like for these pages to mention
your more than welcome to contact me.
Post a comment with your info and I will add it to the respective pages.
*** Do you have a Blog where you cover this also Id love the link so I can post it here as well ***